Friday, July 31, 2009

Batik - A Modified Process

One of the first projects the students were taught was a form of batik using a modified version of the standard batik process. Instead of using wax and dyes, the "paintings" were created using clear, washable glue (which acts as a resist, like wax) and tempera paints. Check these creations out done by some of my students.

Friday, July 3, 2009

A New Endeavor - Teaching Art

Well... I have been very busy over the last 9 months with a new job and career change. In June 2009, I took the MTEL, passed (phew!) and became a MA certified teacher of visual arts. I am writing this in March 2010 and am back dating some of these postings to show the artwork created by my students over the course of many months since becoming an art teacher.

I started work at a private elementary school in Boston during June 2009. The school, over the past five years, developed a full and enriching day habilitation program for young adults aged 18 - 22 years old with moderate to severe disabilities. Since I began teaching art to these wonderful young adults, I have learned a great deal about myself, about art, and the process of teaching. The outcome of their hard work I am showing here. You can see more of what the students have been up to at the Access All blog, which I created and keep up-to-date.

My personal art has taken a back seat over the months, but I am starting to work on personal projects again.

So... check back over the coming months to see my new creations.